Last year our family started a new year's tradition. Usually one of the early Mondays of January we do a special Family Home Evening where we come up with our Family Motto, Scripture and Song for the year. These are done to help us grow together as a family and to focus our thoughts on the Savior. Along with those, we do individual goals and family goals and frame them on the wall to remind us every day of them. I love doing this, it helps that I'm a born list maker, but I also love having united goals as a family. We don't always live up to them, but we sure do try.
Anyway, I was thinking of what songs and what kind of theme we wanted this year and Michael Jackson's Man in the Mirror came on the radio and I just knew! Now this song is one of my all time favorites so I already knew the lyrics and the meaning behind them. Our family is really big on service and trying to "make the world a better place." After all, I do have a degree in social work. But sometimes...well most of the time, we cannot change other people or what they do. However, what we can do is change and work on ourselves. There are always ways we can improve and strive for more. More for our families, wards, communities, and even more for the world. Everyday we can make better decisions, we can become better people which in turn will benefit others. It is vitally important to me that my children grow up very aware of other people and that we are here to serve. That not everybody has the things we do or the opportunities. I want my children to be good people. One of my worst nightmares is of my children being bullies. I won't have it. Whew....okay...after that rant..back to the purpose.
This song means that to me and I hope it will help inspire my family.
So here is a video of it. Warning, it may hard to watch.
And just for fun...some wicked Whitney Houston. Gotta love the 80's...and the clothes :)
What old songs just make you smile?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment