Friday, May 24, 2013

Happy 4th Birthday Elliott Michael Rounce!

Happy birthday.....over a month late.  My sweet first born turned 4 on April 10th.  He was super excited about his birthday as we celebrated it going to the Northwest Train Museum and riding their train!  My social butterfly thought it was the best thing ever as he talked to the conductor and all the other kids riding along.  I don't think I saw him but once or twice the whole ride.  Knowing that he was happy and in his element soothed this mama's heart.  I worry about my son and his sensitive nature, but that is for another post ;)

Now what can I say about my Elliott?  Hmmm...I could fill books and books and never quite get it all down.    He was the beautiful child who made me a mother.  He was a long labor and painful entry due to his deciding to have his hand up by his face....which made my recovery and millions (just a bit of an exaggeration) of stitches incredibly memorable.   It was quite an early introduction to his dynamic personality, as he does love to make an impressive entrance even now. 

My boy had a hard first 6 months of his life.  He had severe reflux and had such a hard time putting any weight on.  We spent a lot of time at the doctors trying to help him keep any food down.  He was on 2 medications for the first year of his life and then at 6 months the doctors at Children's finally prescribed him medical grade formula and our sweet son finally had relief!  I cannot tell you how much this formula helped our little man.  Cameron and I were so thankful that he was finally not in pain!  We could walk into his room without smelling the stomach acid as soon as we crossed the threshold.  We could finally do something that actually helped him!

As soon as his reflux was figured out we began to see our boy and his personality grow and shine.  He was happy and bubbly.  Funny and cuddly!  And temperamental and stubborn and seriously opinionated.   It cannot be said that we have easy going children.  It would be a straight up lie ;) 
However, we loved watching him change into a curious toddler.

Since then he  has become such a delight to us.  He is an avid learner!  I've never seen anything like it.  He devours books and begs me to read to him all day long.  Since he was 2 1/2 he has known all his ABC's and their sounds and we are currently working on reading.  He has read several books to me so far ;)  He loves figuring out how everything works.  Loves watching Mighty Machines and any kids show that is educational and describes something he loves in detail.  It is rather humbling when your son teaches you things you didn't even know!  However, I wouldn't have it any other way, I am so proud of his eagerness to gain knowledge.

 Always has to have his tools nearby.

Elliott is social.  Something I am having to learn how to deal with as that is not my natural inclination.  He is truly a kind little boy.  He wants to be everybody's friend and will literally walk up to anybody and talk to them.  Doesn't matter how old or young, male or female...he is right there introducing himself and asking question after question.  I love this about him, I love that he is not scared or wary of people yet.  Though, I have to admit  it also scares the crap out of me...which is why I never let him out of my sight when we are out in public.  Haha.

 Loves his smoothies...after having the stomach flu..hence the pile of towels ;)

The last thing I want to tell the world about my big boy is how loving and affectionate he is.  I cannot tell you how many times a day he tells everyone in our family that he loves them.  Or how he says thank you to me after I make lunch or dinner.   And don't even get me started on how his hugs are so freely given that sometimes we have to remind him that not everyone is as...huggy as him. ;)  It hardly seems fair to mention that he tells me often that I am the best mom ever, or that he is happy that I get to be his mommy.  Seriously folks!  I am not even exaggerating a little bit.  Oh....and I'll only briefly touch on his protectiveness about his sister. When we go to the doctors he gets agitated when they start touching her and he keeps asking them, "What are you doing to Missy?"  He is such a special little boy and I'm not sure what I did to deserve him.

 Elliott and his Missy when she was still in the NICU

I know deep in my heart that he is going to do amazing things in this world.  He is strong, stubborn, and above all, good.  It is my honor and pleasure to be his mother.  I could not ask for anything better than to have the privilege of watching him become the great man he is destined to be.  











No comments:

Post a Comment